Dear You,
I never knew what it was like to say someone has lived a thousand lives, but when I met you, I knew. Eccentric, some might call you, fascinating, world-traveler, alive is what I say. I could sit and listen to your stories about what you’ve seen, where you’ve been, who you’ve met, for hours. You might feel that you dominate conversations, but believe me when I tell you the silence from those around you isn’t from boredom or inattentiveness, it’s because we wait on your every word to hear more hilarious adventures from the life (or lives) of you.
Strength is what you have in bounds, is truly what you are. Since I’ve known you, stress and tragedy has not overshadowed your love for life, and that is what I love most about you. Even when you’re down, you get immediately back up and push through because of the internal strength you carry. The most important lesson I’ve learned from you is to trust myself and open my mind and see. See things for what they are, people for who they are. I wouldn’t say my sight was necessarily clouded before, but my eyes weren’t fully open, and now they are. You helped me through a difficult time, and I wanted to say thank you for your insight and your friendship that continues to support me even now.
A dear friend is what I consider you, an adopted mother, a confidant, an inspiration. The absorbing and stimulating conversations we have last for hours, and they could last much longer if not for our busy lives. Lives. Yes, you’ve had many. The experiences you’ve had have shaped you into the person you are, that strong, loving, intelligent person we all see. Not many could have picked up and started over again and again and stayed the same stable, forward-thinking person. Books could be filled with everything you’ve learned, the amazing experiences and foreign forays in France, and those ‘oops’ moments that make you you. There are a couple of those that bring tears of laughter to my eyes whenever I think about them.
No matter where you are, I want you to know that you and I will always know each other. I will always be there to hear you and learn from you and talk to you and laugh with you. Even if your ventures take you to the depths of South America, the Scottish Highlands, or the refined streets of France, I will know you, and yes, likely come visit…for a few weeks. Count on that.
Please, tell me another story Woman-of-Many-Names.
I’m listening.
**A**
No comments:
Post a Comment