Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Birthday Blues No More

It’s nearly that time of year again… yes the day that has brought on a bout of depression since I turned sixteen. Indeed, I am talking of my birthday.  This time last year, I was freaking out because I was going to be a quarter of a century old and I felt that I hadn’t done anything with my life yet. Yes, I had graduated from college and lived independently but there was little in my life I was proud of, so I decided to change that. This past year, I’ve done a lot that I’m proud of and I’ve also realized that growing older doesn’t necessarily mean growing old.
Most proud moments of being a quarter of a century:
Ireland! Not only is it my favorite part of the year, but it’s my proudest moment as well. I took myself on an amazing trip and didn’t have to rely on anyone to pay or plan for me. My friend Liz and I had a fantastic trip that went pretty well considering we were basically virgin trip planners. When we arrived in Ireland, we hadn’t actually planned anything except where we were staying, and after a few days of fumbling around, we finally got our schedule together and had the best time. Thanks for the unforgettable trip, Liz!
Bella Blue! My Subaru is another proud moment because I bought her on my own in-full. No car payments for me! Granted I did cash in bonds that were given to me upon graduating from college from my grandparents, but it was still technically my money. (thanks MeMe and PaPa for thinking of me when I was born so that I was able to do it!)
Writing… okay for all the grief I give myself for not actually completing anything yet, I do have to give myself props for starting and continuing this blog. That is an accomplishment in and of itself, but I am also proud of at least starting five writing projects, even if they aren’t complete. There are a lot of ideas rolling around in this head of mine, and I figure as long as I get everything out before I forget it, then something has to come of it sometime. I’m in no hurry to rush the writing process (and no that isn’t an excuse for not having a story finished. Okay, maybe it is, but it’s true, I’m very patient)
Kickboxing and Total Body Fitness! I have continued with kickboxing, am currently a high purple belt going for my brown belt next month. If that means nothing to you, let me put in plainly: in one year from now, I’ll be testing for my black belt. Not a lot of people can say that. I’ve also started and stuck with my 6 a.m. Total Body Fitness class for the last five months. I love it, although getting up at 545 four or five days a week isn’t what I think of as ‘fun’ it is keeping my health goals alive, and let’s face it, me as well.
I do have a lot to feel good about this past year, it’s definitely the most productive year I’ve ever had, and I appreciate everyone that’s been a part of it. There was something that kind of woke me up a little last year on my 25th birthday that I didn’t tell very many people about… it was completely embarrassing, and I’m only divulging this to you now because I’ve come so far and turned around my opinion of growing another year older…I was griping about getting old and karma bit me in the butt. To be more precise, she bit me in the back, because I threw it out last year on the day of my 25th birthday while stepping out of the bloody shower and bending over to grab my towel. There was no significant moving of the spine in some twisting fashion to reach for the towel, and the towel didn’t weigh fifty pounds, so why did my back get thrown out? To show me that yes, I am getting older, and there’s nothing I can do about it. All the bitching and stressing and brooding cannot change the inevitable: I will grow older each year, but only my perspective on age is going to limit me unless I do something about it. Consider it a great epiphany at a quarter of a century, a lesson learned. I suffered through my back being out without telling a single person the entire day because I was too embarrassed, but this year I’ve got nothing to hide. Scotland to look forward to, posts to write and share, books to read and, hopefully, write, and friends to see and have fun with. Oh, and did I mention that this year is my golden year? That’s right, 26 on the 26th. By looking back and reflecting in my posts, it helps to look forward to my future. I’ve got my black belt training this next year, too. That’s going to be interesting, intense, insane, and a ton of other words that start with ‘in’ (including but not limited to informative (about myself mostly) inspirational, and inclusive. Not sure how that last word’s going to fit, or what I mean by it exactly, but I’ll make it happen.)
26. Bring. It. On.

No comments:

Post a Comment