I’ve never had a sister before, and I’m still getting used to the whole thing, but sisters share, or so I’ve found out. I grew up with a little brother, and when I say ‘grow up’ I mean I was nearly nine when the little demon was spawned and ruined my only child mentality…eh hem I mean when the lovely boy was born and brought into this world… anyways we were not sharers. The only thing we shared was our DNA, everything else was, ‘That’s mine! Don’t touch it! Moooooooooom! Give it back!’ Yes, I’m embarrassed to admit that even with the almost nine year age difference, we still fought over everything and anything and wanted to share nothing. Seventeen years later, I’m proud to say that we’ve gotten better, but there is still that hard-to-kill habit of wanting to say no when it comes to sharing. What can I say? We’re both stubborn.
Anyway, when my roommate moved in about three years ago (actually exactly three years ago nearly to the day) I had never before been introduced to the idea of being okay with sharing. What I thought of as ‘sharing’ would have included air, living space, and taking turns driving to the grocery store to equalize gas spent on doing things. That was logical to me, I would most definitely not have considered ‘sharing’ to include food, DVD’s, or socks. Especially not socks. And by no means would I ever have imagined people willingly lending out their things to other people, or allowing them to eat their food without expecting payment or anything else in return. SO WEIRD!!! I wouldn’t say that I was necessarily selfish in my thoughts of not sharing, well maybe a little, but I had never been met with that kind of generosity before, and the first time my roommate said I could have some of her food shocked the hell out of me. I was like, ‘Uh, you sure?’ and she was like, ‘Duh.’ That’s basically how the conversation went. She explained to me that family is all about sharing, and whatever you have, you give to your siblings or your parents. I think I broke out in a sweat when she was explaining it to me, but very gradually I became accustomed to the idea of sharing. And of course the benefits of it too.
I actually think now before letting someone borrow something instead of automatically saying no. Don’t get all crazy now, I said ‘think,’ not ‘I always share my things with everyone because I’m such a good person.’ Definitely didn’t say that, but I will actually think about it, and consider if I know where they live and how long I’ve known them in case they don’t return it…kidding, only kidding. Something I find funny is that I’m the worst at getting people back their stuff. I still have a book from someone (well, more than a few books from more than a few someones) an anime series (sorry! I promise I will return it, and it will be watched! Swear!) and I believe I just returned someone’s binder that I’d had for a couple of months… yep it’s not on my shelf, definitely returned it. (phew). Sharing can be so stressful!
When my roommate got home today, I smiled hugely and said ‘I had some of your chips, oh and a little Sprite too. And, I’m wearing your socks!’ Her automatic reaction was a scowl followed by, ‘Bitch,’ and then immediate smile and shrug. As I said before, we’re sisters, and sisters share. You might be thinking what does she get out of this because it seems a little one-sided on the sharing thing… but I also share my food, and she wore my socks last night, oh and I have a wealth of knowledge that is completely at her disposal, along with the largest RomCom DVD collection in the world. Yeah, I’d say she’s sittin’ pretty.
Sharing is caring. Especially when you share socks.
No comments:
Post a Comment