The idea of Guinevere’s Square Table stems from a long night of drinking and hanging out with my mom and her friends. I’m a writer, I pride myself on observation, and this particular night, I noticed how they all acted around my mom. It was weird, almost like she was the leader of this amazing band of women and they all went to her for advice and to have her listen to their problems because, if anything, my mom is a fantastic listener (perhaps that’s where I get it from). They surrounded her, a number of them likely wouldn’t be friends if it wasn’t for the glue that is my mom, and they sat around her square table and looked to her each time someone said something or brought an issue to the table, and it distinctly reminded me of King Arthur and his round table. I don’t even know if they noticed they were doing it, or if they’ve seen it since that night, but they look to her in a way that resembles a queen to her vassals. Maybe it was the cloud of cigarette smoke surrounding me, or the haziness of alcohol running through my system, but I had an epiphany at that point, and Guinevere’s Square Table (as a title at least) came into existence. It wasn’t until a year and a half later that I actually started writing this, but I wrote down the title that night and it stuck with me.
Guinevere’s Square Table is a place for me to be honest with everyone. If anything, I like to point out the truth in matters, and I like to be right (and I am most of the time. No, seriously.) My voice seems to be muted when I’m talking, but when I’m writing, I bring it all out. There is very little I won’t say when I’m writing because I like to shove it in people’s faces and make them see truth, sense, and the absolute ridiculousness that is the general human population. I’m sort of a cynic, and can be a pessimist, but that only adds to my charm. Not everything I write is worth reading, but the things I post mean something to me, whether it’s bitching about the stupid driver riding my ass, or covering a subject on family or daddy issues, or boyfriends, I think there’s always something that can be learned from every situation. I hate to say that I’ve had a tough life because I didn’t grow up without basic necessities, and I always had a roof over my head, but the situations that I’ve been through are surreal and surprisingly ridiculous. If my friends didn’t know me as well as they do, they’d think I was lying because of the amount of crazy things that I’ve experienced. But, those are for another day, likely tomorrow, or the next. For now, I’m going to end with a motto I live by, and something I often like to remind people no matter how bad it gets: things happen for a reason. They truly do.
No comments:
Post a Comment