Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Dear You Part 11

Dear You,
Sometimes, I want to punch you in the face. When you pop your gum when you’re nervous, or when you dramatically claim “FML!” when something goes wrong that you didn’t expect, or when you push my buttons to get me to go further than I think I can. But especially when you pop your gum. Just sayin’. There are other times, however, when I can’t believe how lucky I’ve been to have you as one of my best friends that’s, let’s face it, more of a sister than anything. You can’t tell me I never call you that because now it’s in writing for the entire world to see. So there.
You push me. Plain and simple. You push me to do my best, to go just a little further, to hit a little harder, not just in kickboxing, but in other things, too. I know you have faith in me when I don’t always have it in myself, and I can’t tell you enough how important that is to me. There are times when I ask myself, ‘Can I really do this?’ and you’re there to tell me that I’ve done it before, or that I made it this far so there’s no turning back now. I know I don’t thank you enough because it’s difficult for me to verbalize things, but I’m thanking you now.
Three years ago, I was broken and needed help. Living on my own was expensive, and I was struggling with a lot not just financially, but in other areas of my life as well. Then there you were, an eighteen-year-old spitfire with the maturity of someone twice your age. We became fast friends, and shortly thereafter, roommates. You know I’m not religious, but I know it wasn’t by accident that we met and are in each other’s lives. Me being the older (but not by that much) wiser (I’m kind of like an owl) full of knowledge sister and you being the younger (but not by that much) active, energetic, go-getter, stubborn (something we both share, I think, but you more so) little sister that gets on my nerves but I couldn’t imagine not being around. I couldn’t have asked for a better first roommate (let’s face it, the other one I had doesn’t count. At all.) and I know we’ve helped to balance the other out. I can remember how different we both were three years ago, and I’m astonished to see how we’ve both grown because of the other.
As we’ve both witnessed over the last couple of years, some friends are temporary, but family is forever. You can always count on family to be there for you, to support you, look out for you, and help you through anything. So, my sister from a different mister, (I totally came up with that before I ever heard it on T.V.) know that you can count on me even if you’re living in another city, state, or even country. Especially if you live in another country because I will be there visiting. Just sayin’.
Thank you for always being yourself, and know that you can trust yourself even when I’m not around. I’m not sure if you’ll want to hug me or punch me after you read this, but please refrain from either since you know I’m not all mushy and stuff.
Just sayin’.
**A**

No comments:

Post a Comment